Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 7 Trace

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalVis

Technical User
Jun 26, 2002
US
we are experiencing server lock up frequency and would like to ask the community if there is a simple trace script that will help us identify which process causing the server to lock up. info from the trace such as uername, process name, cpu usage, disk i/o...i'm not sure if i can obtain all these information. Your help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
TIA

If you are describing locking problems, particularly deadlocks, you may not need to resort to a trace (SQL profiler), although this can also be a useful tool.

Other tools would be Enterprise Manager (under Management/Current Activity), sp_who, sp_who2, and DBCC INPUTBUFFER. You will need to look for blocked SPID's, and the SPID that is doing the blocking. By viewing the buffer, you should get a clue as to who/what is the culprit. Usually, the fix will require one or more application adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back