Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2012 - Save As saving over original document as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITALIAORIANA

Technical User
Apr 22, 2005
US
Hi Everyone,

I just had SSMS Tools installed on my laptop. Now when I open an existing query modify it for a different client and then save as to a different location it is saving the changes over the original query as well. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it?

Thanks
Deana

No, but how are you doing this?
If you open a query, work on it and CTRL+S you overwrite, yes.
As a good practive, open a query, first Save As a new, then all further saves all only alter the new file.
Things like using CTRL+S sneak in as a habit and before you know it you change the loaded query you didn't want to change.

Even, if that's not true and you have the issue you describe 1:1, then a simple workaround obviously is
a) copy in Windows Eplorer or your favorite file commander before editing
b) have backups. Good for anything anyway. Also a good practive to restore single files.

Bye, Olaf.

Hi Olaf,

I am actually using the File > Save As,(I'm a mouse person). I thought maybe it might be a setting with the new SSMS Tools. This didn't happen before it was installed.

Thanks
Deana

Do you mean SSMS ToolsPack? If so, that add-in has an auto-save feature that works very reliably, and is great as far as making sure you don't accidentally close without saving or have a system crash where you lose anything you didn't save just prior.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back