Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2008r2 Database useable with SQL 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
Is this doable? I have a SQL 2008r2 database that I need someone else to have a copy of and use. Under SQL2008 this was a problem (or at least one I did not know how to solve).

Can I do this in SQL 2008r2?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

No,
but you could create database on 2005 and use it in 2008R2

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server 2000,2005 & 2008.

Why? SQL Server is designed to be located on a Server with each user having their own access. Why use 2 different SQL Servers? If the 2nd user truly needs a copy of the database. Copy it within the same SQL Server and give that user access to the copy. It wouldn't make much sense to do that but if that's what you want. Are there elements in the Database that are not included in SQL Server 2005. Re-Create the DB in SLQ Server 2005 and use replication to sql server 2008. You can try going the other way from sql server 2008 to 2005 but I don't think that'll work.

You can only attach a database on another computer to an instance of the same database engine or newer. You cannot (easily) go back.

Ex: A SQL2005 database can be attached to SQL2005, SQL2008 and SQL2008R2.

A SQL2008 database can only be attached to SQL2008 or SQL2008R2.

A SQL2008R2 database can only be attached to SQL2008R2.

The only way (that I am aware of) to get a DB running on an older server is to script the database structure and data and run the scripts on a older server.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

From SQL Mgmnt Studio, if I right click the database and select properties, then to to the options page, the third field from the top there is "Compatibility Level". The options are SQL 2000, SQL 2005 and SQL 2008.

This makes no difference? What is the function of this field then if anyone knows?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

That allows the database to be backwards compatible so you can run code from a previous version and still have it work even if it isn't supported on the later version. For example, in SS2005 & SS2008 the old style joins (*=) don't work. If you set the database's compatibility to 80 (SS2000) that join will work. It might not be efficient, but it will work. However, it still doesn't allow you to go backwards (ie restore the database on a previous version).

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back