Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2008 Express, adding new things don’t show intelisense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I created a new function and a new table neither of which showed in until I closed SQL Server Management Studio and reopened it.
If I press F5 to refresh, the query will run without error, but it still shows a red underline and does not show in intelli-sense until reopening SSMS.
Any Ideas how to get it to learn quicker or see new items without closing it?
I’m un-employed and learning SQL 2008 and it’s abit of a pain to shut down and reopen.
TIA

DougP
[r2d2] < I Built one

Did you add GO before your statements?

Did you apply SP1 on SQL Server 2008?

Nope, GO is only for running SQL statements not refreshing what’s inside. and adding the SP1 did nothing either. I guess this is an inability for intelli-sense to gather new info and can only see items and tables etc when it’s first loaded.

DougP
[r2d2] < I Built one

I tried it and it works for me. I didn't create the table, but it is showed in intellisence. Look at picture:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://img240.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=21843_file01_122_514lo.jpg[/url]

This is my version of SQL Server:
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (Intel X86) Jul 9 2008 14:43:34 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Evaluation Edition on Windows NT 5.1 <X86> (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)

I hope it helps.

You are right, I tested it and intellisence didn't work with manually created table. But it works with sql code created tables. So I suppose this should be the solution... :)

This is SQL Express not the full version. not sure if that matters.
Maybe, but if you create anything new manually it won't see it. Functions, Views whatever. That's alright though, at least it's better than nothing which is what I was used to using in SQL 2000.
I tried your Foo table and it did not show it in mine
Thanks though.

also that imageview thing you use, pops up adult ads when I click it so keep an eye on that.
And also anything you put on a web site is fair game to anyone or the people running that site. I never use any of that, FACE book, twitter its all wide open to the world and hackable for that matter.

DougP
[r2d2] < I Built one

I have tested it also on Express 2008 and it works fine if you write all via sql code.

Btw. I apologize, but on my Firefox didn't show any of adult ads. I used imagevenue a few years ago and they had any adult ads. So now I see, they have changed it.
Of course first of all I tried use the box.net, but it is not free...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back