Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2008 disk configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottcabral1979

Programmer
Mar 16, 2012
US
Hi,

We have been given a new 64 bit SQL data warehouse server with 2008 enterprise installed. Here are the specs given to us by the server admin group:

Server Storage provisioning - two RAID-10 arrays have been configured with standby hot spares. Each array is one independent volume as follows
D: 2.72TB
E: 2.72TB

The OS Volume (C:) runs a RAID-1 Mirror - total space of 465GB – with 428GB currently free

We have to migrate about 15 user databases from our current data warehouse to the new server and I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure the data and log files. I was thinking of separating out the data files to D: and log files to E:, but not sure if having just the log files on E: is overkill.

I was also thinking of moving tempdb over to the D: and tempdb log over to E: to take advantage of the RAID 10, but not sure if it is a good idea to have tempdb on same drive as data files.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Separating the data and the transaction log files does help speed, also recover can be easier if you loose a drive.

We have a drive for each data/logs/tempdb.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back