Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql 2005 xp_sendmail, error message 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

henin

MIS
Oct 30, 2007
IL
Hi everyone,
I wonder if i could get help concerning sending mail from sql server 2005 using master.xp_sendmail procedure.
My code is
Code:
EXEC master..xp_sendmail @recipients = 'name@mailaddress.com',
@message = '111',
@subject = '222'
and the error message i get is:
Msg 17985, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
xp_sendmail: Procedure expects parameter @user, which was not supplied.
Any idea why this is happening to me ?
Thanks

That's very strange. Any reason that you aren't using sp_send_dbmail instead of xp_sendmail? xp_sendmail is going to be removed at some point in the near future.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Thanks, never heard of it but i'll try to find out how it works.

sp_send_dbmail is the procedure which database mail uses to send mail. Database mail is the replacement for SQL mail which is where the xp_sendmail procedure came from.

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

My Blog

I tried it but a @profile argument is required and this is above my ability. should i install exchange sever for that ?! it seems i'd rather stay with the good old xp_sendmail then get myself involved with mail server problems.

You have to setup a profile in the database mail. You can use the sysmail_help_profile_sp procedure to get a list of available profiles on the system.

Getting Exchange setup and working is much harder than getting database mail setup.

Denny

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back