Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2005 Product Lifecycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savil

Programmer
Apr 28, 2003
EU
Hi All

According to the MS site. SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition has extended support until 12/4/2016 yet service pack 4 is one year on from 13/12/2010.

Am I reading this wrong? when is end of life support for a system that is
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.5000.00 (X64)

Thanks

I would guess that ALL of SQL Server 2005, regardless of edition or service pack will end at the same time.

There is a bit of confusion regarding "End of life support". This does not mean that the product will stop working. It simply means that Microsoft will no longer support it. You cannot call Microsoft and say, "I'm having a problem, can you help?".

I've been working with SQL Server for many years. I've been a "SQL Server MVP" for 3 years. I have never once called Microsoft for support.

That being said, it's not terribly difficult to upgrade to a newer version of SQL server. There are some things that don't work anymore. Specifically things in SQL2005 that no longer work in 2012 (the newest version of SQL Server).

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

George

Thanks for the info but my company is contractually obligated to provide a Microsoft in support product. I'm trying to work out when we need to upgrade.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back