Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2005 Maintenance Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbro

Programmer
Nov 12, 2004
US
Hi,

The company I work for has owned Microsoft SQL Server for some time now, but has never employed a DBM to manage it properly. We're a small shop and primarily rely on tape back-up and have no maintenance plan to keep the system running at optimum.

We've upgraded now to SQL 2005, and I'm taking on the task of defining a maintenance plan so that we don't run into the same problem as before.

I'm fairly new to SQL though and don't feel that I know enough to make judgement calls on some of the settings. The Wizard is useful but I feel compelled to always use the default.

My question is this, does anyone know of good online resources available that can help me fit a maintenance plan to the needs of my shop? Or know of resources that could just provide more information on what each component means and what effect tuning will have?

Thanks,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back