Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2005 Enforce Password Policy problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJAnalyst

MIS
May 6, 2003
US
Progression 7.6.400a
SQL Server 2005 Standard SP2
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2

We have SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) requirements for password strength, expiration, and multiple attempt lock outs.

On SQL 2000 we had a series Stored Procedures that tracked the logins and passwords in the Master DB and updated tables and views. This will not work in SQL 2005 due to the Master DB lock down.

The Macola Strong Password functionality does not function properly or meet our requirements.

We are testing the implementation of a SQL 2005 upgrade and came across the Enforce Password Policy. We are finding a problem which has been duplicated by Dale Radel at Exact. When you use the Policy in SQL it will lock out a user after 3 attempts, but you cannot unlock the user without disabling the Policy for the user. This also corrupts the user and the user cannot log into Macola at all after a failure without deleting in SQL and recreating through VMB. This is obviously not an option.

Has anyone seen this or does anyone have an alternative for Strong passwords in Macola? Has anyone come up with a way to use Windows Authentication for Progression?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Jonathan Nelson

Windows Authentication for Progression??????? That would be SWEEEEET. I would almost bet that this is not on the horizon for Progression. In my mind it would have been a better spending of my maintenance fees to get windows authentication rather than this "strong" password stuff.

If you do find a solution I would love to hear about it.

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

Windows authentication with Progression is not possible. The use of SQL authentication is too embedded in the code. This decision was made back in the day when many networks were still using Novell and Novell did not provide compatibility with Windows Authentication.

As for you problem with the password policy; have you tried resetting the LockoutThreshold by setting CHECK_POLICY = OFF and then immediately setting CHECK_POLICY = ON. This prevents you from having to remove the policy and gets around the bug in Windows 2003 Server. More information on this solution can be found here:

Scott Travis
Colorado Macola Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back