Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2005 Database Diagram in Visio 2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.

misscrf

Technical User
Jun 7, 2004
US
ok, so I made a diagram in SQL 2005 database, but can't export to visio. I made a diagram in visio, but don't have the right shapes for the tables so it is a completely manual representation of the database, and it isn't linked because I didn't know how to do that.

Microsoft online says you can reverse engineer a diagram in visio by going to new | database. I go to new and database is not an option. I have visio 2003.

Can anyone please help me? I tried to go to Tools | Add ins | and then the database wizard thing, but after it connects to the odbc it starts to have me pick 1 table and set it up. I have like 40 tables. I can't do them 1 by 1. I really just want a wizard or something to grab the tables and relationships from the database and plop objects onto a Visio page.

Is this possible? Can anyone please help me understand how I can do this? I can figure some things out, but some may be over my head. If so, there is always help!

misscrf

It is never too late to become what you could have been ~ George Eliot

On the screen where you pick a table you should be able to select multiple tables at the same time. Try holding down control and clicking on the tables.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back