Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2005 and Dual Core Xeon??

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukon10

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2002
US
I'm currently running SQL Server 2005 on a Dell Poweredge 2850 with two Xeon Dual Core processors. I've read different places about the affinity and HT and what not. Can anyone explain to me how man processors I should have check on my processor affinity within SQL. It shows 4. So I'm guessing its showing my dual core processors and HT is turned off in my bios. I'm just looking to find best performance. Right now all 4 processors are checked.

Leave all the processors checked. I would agree that it sounds like HT is off as only four processors are showing up. Even with HT on, SQL should be left to use all the processors unless you need to reserve a CPU for something specific.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thanks for the input Denny.. Will leave all checked and leave server as is. If anyone has any tweaks that are a must have for sql 2005 let me know!!! All I run on this server is one Database that is like 10gb...

One 10 Gig database on a Dual chip, dual core server. That should smoke.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

i guess it may, but the program we use is kinda slow... might be bad programming on their part. I wish I knew how to check the servers performance. I look at the performance monitor, but don't really understand it..heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back