Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auguy

Programmer
May 1, 2004
US
Looking for some guidance/procedures/references to move some db's from SQL 2000 on one server to SQL 2008 on another server. Can I do backup and restore to move them? I'm assumign detach /attach won't work.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

You can also detach from one and attach to another. When you attach to a higher database engine version, SQL knows this and will automatically update the bits and pieces behind the scenes.

Like Markros said, one you attach your DB to a higher version of the database engine, you cannot go back to a lower version.

After updating to the new database engine, I recommend you recreate all of your indexes because weird things can happen with your statistics and recreating indexes solves the problem.

Also, please be aware that your database compatibility will continue to be 80 (sql2000). You may want to change the compatibility and then thoroughly test all your database code to make sure everything continues to work as expected.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Great, thanks guys.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back