Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sql 2000 - dynamically changing connections to diff servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReportDr00

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2007
US

I am kind of new to DTS and i have requirement to execute same query on 60 diff servers and store the results in sql server.
I need to do this using DTS by changing server name and connection dynamically.
I have ODBC connections created to 60 diff servers that i can use.
I really appreciate your input.

Armani

I think that a bit of looping mixed with use of some global variables or a dynamic properties task would be all you need. You are trying to set up just one task, and execute it for all 60 servers, right?

As you are new to DTS, I suggest this site:
It is awesome. You will be able to find out all you'd want to know about the things I mentioned there.

Post back if you have any specific questions.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Yes, i have distributed environment and will have to change the connection task dynamically after the query runs and stores it in sql table.
I have followed the wrox example and was able to create the package with execute sql task, two dynamic tasks and one send mail task. The two dynamic tasks is on success of sql and on failure of sql. I know this is not what i am after i just want to see how it works. If i could figure out or any body help me figure out how to make this package to loop through 60 different servers and get data from each server and store it in sql table.
I will also refer to the link in the mean while.
any sample available on the net will be great help.

Armani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back