Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spyware removal softwar - conflicts with Norton AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trebax

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
GB
Hi All,

Please can someone offer some advice...

I've been having a couple of start up issues with my system - so under the belief that it could be a some form of spyware conflicting with my system I downloaded and installed Ad-Aware SE.

Unfortunately this caused more problems - firstly when it was running, it got to the stage of checking the system condition and then it stalled for about an hour or so so I had to cancel it. I tried it again and the same thing happened.

Then I noticed that my Norton Anti Virus software had been disabled and it wouldn't allow me to re-enable it.

I uninstalled Ad-Aware and still Norton would not enable. So I uninstalled Norton and reinstalled it and it seems fine now.

Has anyone else come across a similar problem? and can anyone recommend a Spyware remover that will not conflict with XP pro or Norton AV.

Thanks in Advance.
Trebax

Adaware is not going to disable NAV, but a great deal of malware will.

I suspect you have a very active malware agent that is self-protecting.

Run at least two online AV scans - Trend Micro and Panda would be my choice:
If it comes back with clean results, download and scan with the Microsoft Antispyware beta:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back