Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spyware issue? Whaddya think? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpipesdad

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2003
US
Hey all. I had removed 271 objects considered to be spyware from a clients PC and removed one trojan. Now when I go to IE, and try to bring up yahoo, I get connecting 127.0.0.1 and then the DNS error. I can ping yahoo and get email. I'm thinking IE 5.5 is corrupted now. One thing I forgot is to try clearing history/cookies, but I need to load up on ideas before I go back over there cause she is one impatient mean soccer mom!! Ever seen the movie Cereal Killer? Thats what I'm dealing with here. So, if you have run into this, help a brother out, k? Thanks!

You might have pulled too much with the SpyWare removal tool. I've seen AdAware do this, for one. Hopefully, you haven't deleted the quarantine file (or it's equivalent) and you can just restore and see if functionality returns. If it does, just rerun the scan and handpick items fo deletion this time around.

You might also look at the fix posted here:

thread608-648799

Yep, it was ad aware and yep, I deleted them all. Thats what I figured the issue was too. Thanks for the link also, I am armed and ready for battle now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back