Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spyware - Good Review 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

edemiere

MIS
May 13, 2003
US
Hello everyone. I found a good article on spyware, variants, removal utilities, etc. and thought I would share it.

Please be sure to pass this link along to anyone you know that likes to keep themselves spyware free.

Cheers!

Thanks. This was useful.

nopscti

nopscti

Glad you found it useful, lol, I was shocked to see such an old post I made get a response 3 months later.

Good to know people still read through the forums [bigsmile]

Cheers!

edemiere, after many questions by family members and friends, I used the link you recommended to help them out. thanks for the tip!

rhopper

Ironic!

My resident Spybot Search & Destroy blocks access to that page!

Cheers,
Brodie

Here's one to another similar article that Spybot doesn't object to, at this time of writing. Incidentally with "edemiere's" link if you say no to download "Avenue A, Inc" the page will still download.

Inside Spyware: A Guide to Finding Removing and Preventing Online Pests

The article covers these topics -

Introduction
Trojans
Spyware
Adware
Viruses

Symptoms
Computer Behavior
Offline Symptoms
Pop-Up Advertisements

Identifying Spyware
Malicious or Annoying?
Researching Spyware
Locating Pests

Pestware Removal
Spyware and Scanning Software
Other Removal Options

Pestware Prevention
Safe E-Mailing
Safe Surfing
File-Sharing Applications
Browser Settings
Blocking Pop-Up Ads
Windows Messenger Pop-Ups
Spyware Prevention Software
Secure Computing

More Resources

This was useful too. Thank you.

linney,

The other day when I accessed that pcstats page, the only option Spybot gave was "OK", after that I finished up with a blank page. Tried using the Ctrl key as well, but still the same result.

Today, I accesed it again and it worked OK ??? Perhaps Spybot has turned over a new leaf in the new year and become a little more tolerant. :)

BTW, it's 2004 already here in downunder.

Cheers,
Brodie

Just updated Spybot with the update released today and as "cbs604" says the page loads without any warning from Spybot now.

Maybe Spybot or PCstats read Tek-Tips.

Happy New Year.

be careful with spy bot it has some bad qualities

"be careful with spy bot it has some bad qualities"

Do tell.

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back