Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spysweeper damaged reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlshoe

Technical User
Nov 13, 2000
US
Twice I had to reinstall out of the blue I open spy sweeper and get that message.
Running XP/SP2 MCAFEE ENTERPRISE 8.0I and Enterprise firewall 8.5
happened twice on prior XP install and now on a fresh XP install after running spysweeper twice.
Any one else have this problem?

Russ Shoemaker

close all open rpgrammes and browsers berfore installing? Do you have any programs like appdefend, processguard as they may interfere?

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

No nothing to interfere

Russ Shoemaker

Have you turned off spsweeper as running as a service as this can cause it to report that it is damaged?

If nothing else helps uninstall it and reinstall it, make sure other applications ae all closed.

If still no joy contact webroot and report the problem, tell them all the errors you get and they will advise you, they are very helpful!

I had this problem and it was because of other programs and me also turning it off as a service to use as a on demand scanner which obviously spysweeper doesn't like!

under the name khazars

should I turn it on as running as a service?
and yes I only use it on demand

Russ Shoemaker

right now it is set to aotomatic and started

Russ Shoemaker

yes, I would let it run as a service and use it's real time protecton, it is a bit heavy on resources but it is a excellent program and I have bought it myself, along with ewido, they will clean about 90% of malware off a computer!

under the name khazars

Thanks but I am dumping spysweeper as I am on my 7th reinstall

Russ Shoemaker

Went with EWIDO4 nice program

Russ Shoemaker

Just an update on pechenegs' comment

"If still no joy contact webroot and report the problem, tell them all the errors you get and they will advise you, they are very helpful!"

I have had a very different experience with tham. I had the sweeper hang for over 5 hours every time it hit a compacted sql server database backup file (about 200MB) and was told that they were not going to fix my problem because it was never designed for servers! This was despite being told that it was a database on my laptop... It is also not stated anywhere in the product documentation about its limitations with file sizes etc. Not very impressed with the support after buying the product!

@ notadba, I thought my first contact with Webroot support was going down that route; once I got past the 'receptionist' and reached the tech people, they couldn't have been more helpful. I was only a trial user at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back