Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spybot 1.3 problem on Win98 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoinvip

MIS
Nov 16, 2001
GB
Can anyone offer some advice on this please....

One of our users installed Spybot S&D 1.3 onto a Win98 PC in our office and it found LOADS of problems on this machine (used for a lot of web access) which were all fixed. However, it also appears to have corrupted IE6 and Outlook 2000 which were on this PC, as neither app now loads up correctly.

We uninstalled Spybot, tried again, but still the same issue. We then tried uninstalling and reloading IE, but that hung at 57% and we had to reboot.

Any other suggestions before we start with a full wipe and reinstall this workstation?

TIA,

HoinviP

I would ask the user how deeply he used SpyBot. See the last paragraph (corruption warning) in the following link:

See also (auto kill behavior of 'Teatimer'):

Otherwise, load up a freeware tool known as'Process Explorer'
Check for and KILL any running processes with clearly odd descriptions or (sorted) unfamiliar company names. Check to see if that made a difference. Eradicate the offending items.

A 'HiJackThis' log may also bring other items of concern to your attention.

In addtition, I recommend loading ad-aware, and scan using that...

No exaggeration, but every single day over the past month has been spyware repair for me... And 100% of the time, I find spyware that spybot misses, or ad-aware misses, so I use both products to clean machines. Empty the recovery module in spybot first.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back