Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spurious? NFS error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwhysall

MIS
Nov 10, 1998
GB
I have two linux boxen which communicate via thin ethernet. The big one is an NFS server for the little one and exports a couple of directories.<br>
The little one complains about there being "No bound server for domain tranquillity" (thusly is my NFS domain named), and then proceeds to work perfectly.<br>
Now if this were the only time this message appears I wouldn't worry too much, but it appears every two minutes, consequently filling up both /var/adm/messages and root's mailbox.<br>
I've spelt out the domain name in /etc/exports as it says in the NFS-HOWTO but can't get rid of this message.<br>
Any ideas?<br>
<br>
Peter.<br>

I had this happen once, when Reverse DNS was not working. If you<br>
are using NIS, you might have other problems...

As the machine in question blew its motherboard yesterday :( we are in the realm of the rhetorical... but FWIW, DNS wasn't set up at all on either the client or the server - for two machines, /etc/hosts suffices and is less hassle than setting up named.<br>
NIS wasn't in use either, to the best of my knowledge.<br>
It will be interesting to see what happens when the big machine (immortal) gets Linux replaced by Solaris.<br>
<br>
Thanks for the input anyhow<br>
<br>
Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back