Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sprint DSL and Linksys Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptumator

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
US
Finally figured this one out (with a little help from a nice lady at Linksys) and wanted to share it. Just got Sprint DSL (bye bye RoadRunner!) and couldn't get it to work on my Linksys router. Here's how to get it to work:

1. Hook the DSL modem directly to your PC and run the set up program. Be sure to use the cable they provide as it's a crossover cable (which they don't tell you!).

2. Once you have the modem set up for your User ID and password (you can browse to the modem at 192.168.1.1), click on Start, then Run and type Command. In the DOS window, type ipconfig/all and hit enter. Write down the MAC address given for the network card with which you configured the modem. After this, you can disconnect the modem from the PC.

3. Connect the PC to the router (leave the modem disconnected for now). Browse to the router; its default address is 192.168.1.1; yes, that's the same as the modem and it IS a problem if you don't change it.

4. Find the tab for cloning of your MAC address and enter the MAC address you wrote down earlier for the PC's network card.

5. Now go to the Setup tab, choose PPOE and enter your User ID and password. Now check "Keep Alive".

6. Now the part that got me: you need to change the IP address of the router to something like 10.10.10.15. This sets up your local network separate from the modem network.

7. Turn everything off, hook up the DSL to the router, then turn on the modem and wait for the lights to quit blinking. Then power up the router, then the PC -- you should be on line!

I don't understand it all, but it certainly works -- good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back