Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sporadic Sony SDT7000 failures - ArcServeIT 6.6 NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClareSnyder

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2001
CA
We have a Sony CDT7000 on an Acer Altos 930 server running on NT4 with the latest service pack. We are running ArcServeIT 6.6 NT for workgroups.The system is a couple years old, and getting close to time to upgrade - but we need to have a reliable backup in the meantime.
On at least a weekly basis we get a failed backup. We get errors like:
4/04/02 0:2:11 TAPE E6084 Drive hardware error - servo or sensor
[absl:0040 cmd: 11h]
4/04/02 0:2:11 1684 E3855 Unable to position media (media=6/06/00
11:59 PM EC=controller error or hardware error)
4/04/02 0:2:11 TAPE E6084 Drive hardware error - servo or sensor
[absl:0040 cmd: 1h]

Sometimes it is cannot format instead of unable to position. Other times it jyust says cannot find any media. I run the head cleaner tape a couple times a week -at least after every failure - and it is a new cleaner. Using all new tapes. Server is in a clean location.
Any idea what is going on and what needs to be done? Are there sensors in the drive that cannot be cleaned by the cleaner tape that can be cleaned manually by dissassembling the drive?
Any Sony DDS gurus out there?
Thanks.

Hi

i have the same problem with this config:

HP SureStore T20
ArcServeIT Advanced

Do you have solfed the problem?

Hi

i have the same problem with this config:

HP SureStore T20
ArcServeIT Advanced

Do you have solfed the problem?
Please contact me @ lopez@ejected.de

thanks

We did find the problem - We replaced the drive with a brand new SDT9000 that can use the existing tapes, or the higher density ones. No problems since - seams the old drive was over tired.

AIT3 with ArcServe 2000 has the same problem. There is a issue with the firmware or manufacturing process with the drives. Double check the manufacurer of your drives, make sure its SONY!

Our Library from Spectra Logic replaced all 12 of our drives, no problems since.

When something USED to work properly and then gets flakey or quits with no system modifications you can pretty much rule out incompatabilities and manufacturing induced anomolies (AKA bugs). In our case - as well as several others, the drive had simply outlived its normal service life and needed to be retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back