Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spooler service terminating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamus19

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2003
CA
Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7031
The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

I have scheduled the Print Spooler to automatically restart every 5min (batch file-only temp- I would like to find an answer) I had to do this because spooler services are stopping every 1/2 hour. I have also configured the service recovery mode to restart the service after 1 min. Users were complaining that their printers keep disapearing then reappearing.

Is the spooler service crashing on your workstations, or on your file/print server? Does it happen overnight, or just when user activity is occurring? When did this start? How many printers are we talking, and how are they connected/configured?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

seamus19, do you have any eventlog of these events ? Does the printers appear as online or perhaps offline during these crashes ? What OS do you have on your server/clients including servce packs ?

OK here's what has happened
I am running windows 2k server I replaced the server and had to reload the printers for all the HP printers in the domain. After this the spooler on the server kept crashing, what is was was the driver for the HPLJ4 was corrupted after download a couple of different ver for this printer so far so good

I had this problem on one of my Windows 2000 SP4 servers. The problem was eminating from an HP2500c which for some weird reason was keeping every print job that was being sent ot it (even though the setting was off). Talked to HP regarding the matter and they said this is sometimes down to a corrupt print job in the temp spooler directory. This is the location of mine:
C:\WINNT\system32\spool\PRINTERS

Seemed to solve the problem I was having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back