Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spool32 error while installing a network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRCC

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2001
CA
Hi.

When attempting to set up a network printer (NW5 SP6a) on workstations (Win98SE), I keep getting a spool32 error as follows:

SPOOL32 caused an invalid page fault in module DPLWIN32.DLL

If I remove the Netware client (either 3.2 or 3.3) and use Microsoft's Client for Netware Networks to log on to the network, I'm able to set the printer up with no problems. Thus, using my admittedly limited sense of deduction, I have to assume it's a Novell client issue.

The only things I could find on this issue (at both Novell and Microsoft) was to make sure that the Win.ini file was not set as Read Only (which it isn't) and to start SPOOL32.EXE beforehand. Neither worked.

Any help or suggestions would be (and is) greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

(Wondering if there's some kind of prize offered for using the most parenthesis' in a single paragraph.)

Hi Mark -

Sounds like your version/copy of the client may be corrupt. I would try a fresh download. There's info about this exact same issue on Novell's web site. TID 10053052.

Good Luck.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the client and installed on a test box using the fresh copy. No good. Still getting the spool32 error.
Any other suggestions? This is more of a PITA than a critical problem, but it's still a problem I'd like to resolve.

Thanks (again) in advance for all the help and suggestions!

Mark

hmmm. . .

What type of Printer is it Mark?

Also, what is your current printing config? (NDPS, Q based?)

I would suggest that you try reinstalling Client32 ver 3.30 from SYS:\public\c32\setup.exe if you have it there. If not try installing client32 from a Novell CD. Good luck!

The printer is an NDPS based HPLJ 4100 DTN.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled Client 3.2 and 3.3 numerous times from a fresh download from Novell as well as the CD with the same results.

Thanks goaty for the spool32 link. Lot's of great info, but, unfortunately none specific to this problem.

Thanks again to all who have responded so far.

Mark

Ah. . .NDPS ~

I'm sorry - no direct hands-on experience with NDPS -

So the following is just a suggestion, not resolution.

From what I've read, those newer HP LJ come with their own Print Server [610n] which LOVEs to be configured via HP's WEBJET ADMIN (which has numerous issues) - and it's possible it may be bumping heads with the NDPS Printer Agent (NDPS Manager settings/default).

Perhaps totally resetting the printer and start from scratch using only NDPS Broker/Manager/etc. . . . would do the trick.

Good Luck.

Are there other NDPS printers on your network?

If so, I assume the Broker, Manager & Agent are installed and working properly? Also, have you set each of them up manually or through the NWADMIN - Remote Printer Management?

When installing the latest clients on the workstations, did you select "custom" to ensure the NDPS was selected as an option to install it on the workstation?

If you haven't tried setting it up locally (at the workstation only) try this:

go to your \SYS\PUBLIC\WIN32\NWPMW32 --> Printer -->New
Select the printer to install.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back