Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spoofing return address in sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

broorol

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2001
US
One of my brilliant users decided to subscribe a business distribution list to a mailing list and I need to send an unsubscribe with the dist list as the return address. I'd rather not setup a user account for the group as timely email delivery to this group is imperative and do not want to disrupt the flow of inbound mail.

I know there is a way to telnet to sendmail and spoof the return address. If anyone can tell me how I would very much appreciate it.

TIA

This is rather a simplistic answer and may not be the one you're looking for, but here it is. When typing in an address during the "Mail From" part of the SMTP session, sendmail doesn't care about the address unless it's version 8.9 or later and you're using an unresolvable domain. Even then, they may have configured their relay to accept unresolvable domains. I would give it a try. Chances are you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back