Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spoofing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

adfreek

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
US
We're running Exchange 5.5 in the process of migrating to Exchange 2003.

Problem is, we're getting spoofed and in turn getting 50,000 NDR's......how can we temporarily fix this in 5.5 and could someone tell me what the benefits of expediting our 2003 rollout would be to fix this problem ?

Thanks

All I am also getting spoof email originate from my smtp server. Is there something I can do to stop these spoofed emails. I have already changed on the exchange server in the IMS to "Reroute incoming SMTP mail". What else do I need to do to resolve this. Here is a copy of the eventlog for a specific spoof I caught today

Message delivery to the remote domain 'seekingsomeone.com' failed. The error message is 'An SMTP protocol error occurred.
'. The SMTP verb which caused the error is 'RCPT'. The response from the remote server is '554 Recipient Rejected: Not accepting mail for this account : Account Inactive
'.
Ikpa
PS: I didn't want to start another thread for the same problem so I tacked onto this thread

any takers on the above problem :)
Ikpa

Look for reverse NDR patch. These are spam mail NDR, responding to bogus sender addresses. Since you cannot stop thousands of spammers from sending email to your domain, be it legitimate or bogus recipient, the only technical option is to delete them as they come in, not reply to them.

I bieleve that for exchange 2K3 there is a registry hack that you can do. that will not deliver just delete all NDR from the server. Unfornately, I have not found anything for 5.5 yet

That's the patch that dennis is talking about - see faq10-5018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back