Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spontanious refreshing on form

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnLiner

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hi everyone,

Well, I really can't describe it. I'll have to show you.

Download my sample here...

I have a little project database I made with some tweeky workarounds to get the subforms to link to eachother. After putting a double click event on fields of each subform to open a popup, I got strange behavior.

If you'd like, download it and scroll to the bottom of the "frmProManager" which will open with the database. There you will find a detailed explanation.

thanks for your help this one is puzzling me :)

Hi OnLiner,
I had a look at it, but can't find the cause of the continous requering/refreshing

Pampers [afro]

you're never too young to learn

How are ya OnLiner . . .

The rule is:
Microsoft said:
[blue]You can't have a record in a Child table, without a corresponding record (primary key) parent table![/blue]
This dictates that for new records you have to enter data in the parent first!

Your problem occurs because [blue]when you move the focus from parent form to child form, the parent record is automatically saved.[/blue] There's no way around this [blue]unless you use unbound forms! . . . which will take alot more coding.[/blue]

The control fields you speak of, along with the table you created for them [blue]tblProManDetail[/blue], adds complications you don't need and is the source of your problem. If I remove the table, it looks like a db should.

If you have any problem at all, its that subforms can only be nested 3 levels deep.

You need to do some rethinking here . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

:) Thanks a million guys! Yes eventually I'd like to code as much of it as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back