Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SPNs

Status
Not open for further replies.

coniglio

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
US
I'm in the 212 area code and all local calls need ten-digit dialing. We dial 9 to get out. I have 1212 as an NPA so I dial 9+1212 to make a local (212) call. I noticed one of my vendors programmed a bunch of SPNs whose relevance I don't understand. he programmed SPN 912 through 919, then SPN 92 through 86, SPN 971 through 979 and SPNs 98 and 99. What good do these SPNs do me? No DMI, no anything. Thank you.

You should have 2 NPAs for your area code -- 1212 and 212. That way, you can direct your local 10-digit calls out as local and not long distance. As to those SPNs, I'm not sure what is going on there. Can you contact that vendor and ask for a clarification of what those are being used for? They may be obsolete or need to be changed.

how can I dial 212? If i am calling from within 212 to any other number also in 212 I need to first dial a 1. So from a regular analog phone i have to dial 1212 plus phone #. I cannot simply dial 212 without the 1. So what do I need 212 for? I will see why my vendor put those other SPNs in. Thank you.

If you are in an area with 10-digit dialing, then you would dial the area code plus the number (NPA-NXX-XXXX). Sending out a 1 in front of the area code signals most carriers to process the call through long distance switches. Since you do not have 212 programmed in your PBX, you are having to dial 1212 for both local and long distance calls.

We have been 10-digit dialing in our area for quite a while. The initial changeover left a lot of PBXs with some old programming that was no longer necessary. Setups can vary, of course, but you will typically have your area code in as 1+ and just by itself. Then you would direct each to a different RLI, one for local and one for long distance.

Have you looked at your phone bill to determine if you are being charged for those calls as long distance when they should be local? That is really the concern.

212 is ONLY a local NPA. It is never long distance from within 212 area code. I physically cannot dial 212 without a 1. I get a telco recording saying I must first dial a 1. I know there are some NPAs that are local AND long distance but this is not one of them. 212, from within 212, is ALWAYS local, and cannot be dialed without the 1, either from my PBX or from my home phone. So I should only have it as SPN (or NPA) 1212. the 212 SPN is irrelevant. Do you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back