Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting the database MS 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghacig

Technical User
Sep 24, 2004
US
Hi

I have a database that I need to split into a backend to be housed in a server and frontend to be housed on several network computers. I have two questions, since I have never done that before:

1. Do all the frontend databases have to be similar, or can I have a different versions on different computers?

2. After I split it, if I have to make changes to the tables or forms, do I have to re-split it and replace the front-end databases, or do they get automatically updated.

I appreciate any help in this. Thanks.

when you split a db you simply split the data(tables) from the other db objects.

So to answer your questions:

1) No they can be whatever you want

2) Table changes are done once. New front ends to do something with those changes need to be redistributed.

There are several methods of delivery for front ends i would suggest you Google it or you can develop your own. I chose to develop my own which is not difficult. I use a db on the client to check version numbers and if there different then download and replace the FE

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

Thank you for your help. I will google methods of redistributing. Any specific recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back