Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting Instances ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoviceITGuy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2003
US
I have recently split my database and I am ready to put the database into the network, I plan to store the backend (Invoicedatabase_be) into a server and Copy invoicedatabase.mdb ( front end)into many workstations across the network and plan to link the font end and the backend using the link manager wizard .
Can any one advice me if I am doing the right thing? if so, how may people can access the backend database at the same time. will there be any problems accessing the database or inputing the data into the backend database as i plan to link it from many workstations ( atleast 10 )?

Thank you.

Sounds like you're right on track. I have 40+ users sharing the same backend database on a server and have had no problems so I expect you'll be fine. Ann

Make sure the links use URL mapping (NOT Drive mapping).

Have you considered HOW you will manage the FE updates / changes?

Have you implemented some scheme to 'kick out' users when (not if) there is an urgent need to do maintenance on the BE (change table structure(s)? (and do so gracefully)

Have you implemented security?

Do you have a transaction log? To keep track of the "who shot john" question (they WILL arise)?

Have you arranged for the net cop (admin) to make sure the BE is in the back up? Including booting ALL users before the BE is backed-up? Did you make SURE the net cops will inform you of EVERY occurance of failure to do a schedualed back up within "X" hours (24 CALENDAR {not working} Hours). If this is a 'mission critical" db (esp re YOUR job, make SURE this is done. Have YOUR supervisor sign off on it.

Are the individual 'system' clocks synchroized? Is this done on a REGULAR basis (at least daily!) otherwise the timestamp for operations WILL be different, and even some repots will generate different results.

There are perhaps more questions, but I'm trying to NOT disuade you, just offer some thoughts from direct experience where some thing went 'bump in the night' -and it was the sound of me falling.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back