Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting Full Name Field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnqaz

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2003
US
Access 2002 User, Win XP

Is there a way to split a field with Full names (ex:John A. Doe) into First, Middle, and Last name fields? I have seen plug-in shareware to perform the task, but is there a way to do it within Access itself?

Thank you,

You'd have to write code to parse the field at spaces. It's tiresome when you do, because names are rarely uniform - I have three forenames, fo instance.

If you don't want to write code, you canexprot the fireld to Excel, which has a parsing routine built in, but you still have the problem of non-uniformity.

Finally, I think that Woody's Access Watch might have addressed the issue. Try searching the internet for Helen Feddema, who would have written the article.

Access makes all things possible. It even makes them intelligible

I've seen this discussed before, maybe the following can help:
FAQ181-37
Thread701-496962
Thread181-250502
Thread702-539377

I have not had reason(yet) to use any of the code examples, but they do offer various solutions.

Good luck
mk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back