Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting CDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am currently installing a Veramark call-accounting system on my switches. What I need to do is somehow split the cdr coming out of the switches to allow for use of a remote pollable storage unit, as well as an on site call accounting unit. I seem to be getting a variance of opinions on the best way to do this. Some say that I will be creating a conflict, causing the two units to recieve trash. They say this is because of handshake. I have looked into using a "Y-cable" or a spooler to split the data before going to the two units. There is a huge cost difference between the two. Any ideas would be great.

Your PBX probably doesn't support any handshaking on the CDR port anyway - most likely the port can be configured as a transmit only device depending on your switch hardware - there should be no need to allow bidirectional communication on the port anyway... but you should have no trouble using a Y-cable. If you don't want to make one yourself, check blackbox.com, cables & connectors, rs-232...if you are worried, make sure to turn off handshaking in the programming of the port on your buffer box - if you can't and do have problems with the buffer trying to talk back to the pbx port, make yourself a cable and jumper the port open for h/w handshaking. If you have an rs-232 protocol analyzer, plug straight through in-line between the buffer and the pbx to watch the action for diagnostics before you waste any time jerking around with the pinouts of your cable. In summary, check the pbx port properties and the buffer box port properties first - cheers.

You can make this work with properly on configured devices. We've done over 1000 split data connections over the last 4 or 5 years. Contact me.
bwharton@telemanager.net

What type of PBX? The Avaya/Lucent Definity's support 2 CDR outputs. -CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back