Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting Access database & form ( Using Database Splitter) _ PL Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoviceITGuy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2003
US
I am new to IT & I had created forms and tables for a Database, there are 5 forms over all , each relating to a table, basically its just a data entry form. Now I have got to place each of these forms in seperate workstations and the database will be placed in the server, so that the forms can access the database via network. Some Access Experts in this forum had given me a suggestion to use the database splitter , that way the form and the database can be seperated and thus act as client & server.

I tried the splitting a test database and was not able to understand anything. It created some database called Tester_be and I was not able to find the form it had split. Can any expert here explain the process. On how to split and what to look for after splitting process is complete...
Thank you for your help and have a nice day.

Ok here is what I know. The file that you did the split on I take it was Tester. Ok now what happens when you split the DB the file you split (Tester) will have the forms, queries, reports and macros. The Tester_be is the Back End or where the data is stored, you should see only tables. It stores just data. This would be considered the the Server and the other would be the Client.

I hope this helps.

James
paveway@earthlink.net

Just another note, when you open your front end (client) database now you'll notice there are little arrows in front of your tables. This tells you that the table are no longer resident in your database. You are simply "linking" to the tables in the back end (server) now. Ann

Quick question on this post....

When you split the database - how do you share that database with other people and how do you do updates to the database?

I have split my database - and am assuming I just put both files on a shared network drive where the other users can access it?

My only issue is that - how do users get updates to the database that I make (like new forms, reports). I mean - if the database is split, and I'm working in the production database making changes to the database itself, how does that work??? If someone is in a form that I want to change, can I not change it???

this is very confusing to me :-/

When you first split the DB it will ask you where to place the Back End. You can place this anywhere as long as you can find it later. I recommend putting it in the same directory as the db you are splitting and leave the name as is.
Now when you move the both files to a shared drive you will have to relink the Back End. Here is how you do that.

On the Front End of the DB goto Tools/Database Utilities/Linked Table Manger. In the new window press Select All and check the box at the bottom named "Always prompt for new location". Press the ok and it will relink all the tables for you.

paveway [machinegun]

Looking for help check the FAQ's first then do a search then ask. Worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back