Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

splitting a single 10baseT feed into three ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2000
US
Well, I have no idea if this is the correct forum to post this, but I have to ask anyways.<br><br>We have a residential complex that was prewired with cat3 cable.&nbsp;&nbsp;All of the suites in the complex have about 3 RJ45 jacks inside: one in each room (living room, bedroom, office)<br><br>These three jacks are all fed to ONE main BIX connector in the suite that feeds down to the hub closet on one cat3 wire.&nbsp;&nbsp;That is, we have ONE cat3 cable feeding the suite, and that is spliced into three feeds off the basic telecomm panel.<br><br>I am sure if somebody plugged a computer into the RJ45 jack in the office, they would have a successfull connection to the network.&nbsp;&nbsp;But would the other two feeds off the same splice degrade performance?&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I have people asking me if they would be able to move the computer around the suite from the living room, to the bedroom, to the office ... and still have the same connection.<br><br>Thanx in advance, I am not sure about the electonic possibilities behind this.

cat3 will support 10mbs network. with the configuration you describe the computer will probably be recognized at each location. the throughput will be degrade to a 4 to 7mbs data rate. be sure to only use one jack at a time. [sig][/sig]

well as an update, i have tried this configuration over and over again. The only solution was to remove the frogged wiring (zigzag pattern) on the punchdown panel. Basically, i could get tone through, and cable testers were somewhat happy with the connection, but time and time again the computer itself wouldn't recognize the connection until i re-did the wiring.

to answer my question, NO it won't work that way.

This doesn't work because the ieee spec says no bridge taps. If you think about it this way, you wouldn't run a cable to a block 100' then connect one rj connecter, then continue on another 60' connect an rj, then on another 50' and connect an rj. It might look something like

HUB--------------X---------X------X.

Im sure you would not think of hooking it up that way, and basically what your talking about is the same thing.

Electrially it probably changes the impedance of the cable, and weakens the signal to noise ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back