Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting a path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saracen52

Programmer
May 6, 2005
GB
If you create a closed path with the pen tool - how do you split it?
I have tried selecting the object and dragging the knife tool across it.
The first time I do this on a new object - it seems to add an additional point to the path, but if you click on and move that point it is clear the path has not split - another point has simply been added to it.
The second time I use the knife tool on the object - nothing happens.
According to the help files this is not what is supposed to happen.
Thanks for any help.

Use the scissors tool instead - use on segment or anchor point (not end).

Saracen:

Make sure you're using the proper knife tool. There is a slice tool that looks just like an exacto knife, but it's for making slices to save to the web. The knife tool actually looks like a saw and lives with the scissors tool. When using it, you can cut free-form across objects, but you must make sure to cut from before the object until all the way past the object, otherwise it will only create a partial cut. To cut a straight line across, hold down the Alt key while cutting, and before releasing you can still modify the direction of the cut. To cut a constrained line (45 degrees, 90 degrees, etc) hold down Shift and Alt.

The sciddors tool will cut the path, and if you do that in 2 spots you'll have 2 loose, unclosed paths. Then, you could reconnect the ends (Ctrl-J) but it seems to be the long way.

HTH

Bert

-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back