Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting A Forest Apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekistry

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
GB
With the help of this forum, and a lot of research, a couple of years ago I setup our local domain: ewalters.co.uk, and as a child of the forest I set up our Bulgarian office: ewalters.bg, connected by a VPN.
Sadly our company has been into administration (and even more sadly, come out again).
Both domains use Exchange 2003 and 2003 domain controllers.
Can anyone point me in the right direction of any helpful advice / links on breaking the domains apart again, I have been told that this is unsupported but find this hard to believe.
Thanks in advance everyone for your help.
Nick

---------------------------------------
save a life - visit:

There is a tool made by Quest Software that will do this. It's called the Quest Migration Manager for Active Directory. Microsoft doesn't offer the tools to do it, but Quest's product handles it.

If you register at the Quest site you can download an eval copy with documentation. The nice thing about this product is that even though the process of splitting a forest is still fairly involved, at least there's a clear roadmap, and all the most tedious methods of doing it manually are automated. Not that I've ever seen anyone ever give a roadmap to doing it manually...

ShackDaddy

Your best approach would be to use ADMT or a third party tool to migrate the objects in domain that is leaving to a new forest. Then, decommission the empty domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back