Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting a Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAPetry

Technical User
Aug 2, 2000
US
I have a database that people in my office would like to start using to store different project data in.

Current master db has companies, contacts, and other general info.

the seperate databases would have project information, transmittals, faxes, contrats, change orders, etc. but would pull all company and contact info. from the master db.
(This way when a project is complete I can move that data to a different directory or write off to CD)

Does any one know a good way to start this process. I have all the forms needed currently in my master DB. and thought is to have the user click a command button that would copy all necessary tables and queries necessary to manage a project into the individual project DB named by user.

Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks MAP

Well sort of

Take a look at my FAQ's on making an .MDE this also shows how to split the database too.

faq181-91 What is an .MDE and why do I need it?
faq181-90 How do I make an .MDE file
DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

Splitting an application into Frontend and Backend does not require the help of a wizard but just the comprehension of the FE/BE-relation:
Just follow these steps:

- Copy the whole MDB as "myBackend.MDB"
- Rename the original MDB: "myFrontend.MDB"
- Delete all tables from the FE (except local lookup tables)
- Link all tables from the "myBackend.MDB"
- Close and Compact the FE
- Open the BE
- Delete all database objects EXCEPT the tables
- Close and Compact the BE

Just remember that the FE "remembers" the exact path to the BE. If you move or rename the BE or its folder, then the tables will no longer be found. You can handle this problem with a VBA relinking procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back