Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting a Cat5e or Cat6 Gigabit connection into two 100mb Connections ??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry419

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2011
US
I have been looking for some temporary adapters that will split out the 8 wire cat5e connection and create two 4 wire 100mb connections. I have used adapters in the past to add a temporary phone line over an Ethernet cable. It has a 4 pin RJ45 and a 4 pin RJ11 on one side and a 8 pin RJ45 on the other. Using one on both ends of a cat5/6 run I can add a temporary digital phone line over existing LAN cable.

I am looking for the same concept in being able to temporarily split a normal 8 wire gigabit connection into two 100mb connections. It would have two 4 pin RJ45 one one side and a 8 pin on the other. Two jumpers into two switch ports would be combined onto one cable and broken back out at the other end, using two adapters.

I have seen similar ones but they are parallel connections. They are advertised as doing what I am looking for but I believe that only one device could be used at a time.

I could use the same ones that I use for phones but would have to fabricate a RJ45 to RJ11 plug adapter.

I don't need to reinvent the wheel. Surely somebody makes such a device.

Trying to avoid using more 4port dumb switches.

That will work. I only need them for temporary connections. Thanks. Sad thing is for a set of these you could buy a 4 port switch for same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back