Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

split table loses connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali29J

Technical User
May 13, 2004
GB
Hi ALl

I have a multi user split database which i implemented yesterday, however after maybe 2 hours all front ends lost the connection with the backend...does anyone know what could have caused this??

When i split the database i simply used the wizard do i need to carry out any other instructions or is this enough??

Thanks

Ali

Ali29J,
Exactly what message do you get? Is it the "network connection lost" or something different.

More importantly...
Are you splitting the database across a WAN or across a local LAN? For example, if the front end is on the desktop, does it connect to the back end on a local server or is the back end at entirely different location?

Because of the way Access loads forms and such, it is a poor WAN application. If you are working across a WAN, consider a Citrix server / terminal server solution, or database replication.

Richard

Hi all

Currently it is on a standard network, FE - desktop/BE - Server based.

I have reinstalled it across the network and so far its maintained its integrity, but it bothered me that all workstations disconnected and i dont know why!! if they disconnect in future will the user become aware without having to check in design view??

The only thing I can think of is if a server was rebooted or a network connection / cable disconnected.

Talked to your network admins. They should have alerts and alarms for dropped connections, etc.

And this should be a rare thing ... except if you do server reboots as part of the weekend maintenance and the end users do not log off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back