Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Split string delimited on line breaks (ASCII Code 13).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix18807

Programmer
Jun 24, 2011
GB
Hi I need to write a query based on a table with a field called AddressDetail which contains a string which is broken on line breaks. I need to return these as AddressLine1, AddressLine2 etc. The difficulty I am having is that I do not have write access and cannot save functions.

Is there some way of getting the nth part of the delimiited string WITHOUT using a function?

Thanks

A table like this where the AddressString contains Carriage Return(CR) characters -

ID,REF,NAME,ADDRESSLINES
327,A000190,AOC Management Services,5th Floor Centre Point (CR)103 New Oxford Street
328,B000190,Bicton College of Agriculture,East Budleigh
330,B000390,Bolton College,Manchester Road
331,B000490,Brighton Hove & Sussex VIth Form College,Dyke Road
332,E000190,Edexcel,Stewart House(CR)32 Russell Square(CR)DavesTown

Split out the carriage returns into a new table -
ID,REF,NAME,ADDRESSLINES,ADDRESSLINE2,ADDRESSLINE3
327,A000190,AOC Management Services,5th Floor Centre Point,103 New Oxford Street,
328,B000190,Bicton College of Agriculture,East Budleigh,,
330,B000390,Bolton College,Manchester Road,,
331,B000490,Brighton Hove & Sussex VIth Form College,Dyke Road,,
332,E000190,Edexcel,Stewart House,32 Russell Square,DavesTown

Sorry I've resorted to showing the tables as comma delimited strings because I couldn't think of a better way to present them.

Try CHARINDEX(CHAR(13), column), or maybe use CHAR(10).
This will find the break, then use SUBSTRING.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Having trouble with that approach past the second CR
The logic for AddressLine1 is fairly straight forward
If the count of carriage returns = 0
then AddressLine1 = AddressLines
Else
AddressLine1 = Left(addresslines, charindex(CR))

Next bit is more tricky but I can cope so far

if count of carriage returns = 2
then addressline2 = right(addresslines, length of addresslines -charindex(CR))

Now if count of CR >2 my brain explodes leaks out my nose and makes a mess on the carpet.

Ok part 1 of solution. Finding the comma locations..

--Comma Positions
SELECT CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL]) as Comma1
FROM dbo.tblClient

SELECT CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL],CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL])+1) as Comma2
FROM dbo.tblClient

SELECT CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL],CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL],CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL])+1)+1) as Comma3
FROM dbo.tblClient

SELECT CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL],CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL],CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL],CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL])+1)+1)+1) as Comma4
FROM dbo.tblClient

SELECT CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL],CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL],CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL],CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL],CHARINDEX(CHAR(13),[ADDRESSDETAIL])+1)+1)+1)+1) as Comma5
FROM dbo.tblClient

--Comma Count
SELECT len(CAST([ADDRESSDETAIL] as varchar(1000))) - len(REPLACE(CAST([ADDRESSDETAIL] as varchar(1000)),CHAR(13),'')) as CommaCount, REPLACE(CAST([ADDRESSDETAIL] as varchar(1000)),CHAR(13),',') AS BREAKPOINTS, [ADDRESSDETAIL]
FROM TABLE

SELECT
CASE len(CAST([ADDRESSDETAIL] as varchar(1000))) - len(REPLACE(CAST([ADDRESSDETAIL] as varchar(1000)),CHAR(13),''))
WHEN 0 then '0'
WHEN 1 then '1'
WHEN 2 then '2'
WHEN 3 then '3'
WHEN 4 then '4'
WHEN 5 then '5'
END AS COUNTOBREAK
FROM dbo.tblClient

If your addresses don't have more than 4 lines and you have PARSENAME in your SQL server version (?2005 onwards)

Select parsename(replace(Addressdetail, char(13),'.'),4),
parsename(replace(Addressdetail, char(13),'.'),3),
parsename(replace(Addressdetail, char(13),'.'),2),
parsename(replace(Addressdetail, char(13),'.'),1)

soi là, soi carré

Unfortunately I have 5 lines to cater for... But thank you for your response!

I'd be careful using the parsename with addresses that are like to have a period in them. I was hoping you could nest the parsename, but found it interesting you get nulls for each field.

With that out of the way...

Offsite link:

You've got questions and source code. We want both!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back