Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splicing network cables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swfl

Technical User
Nov 16, 2007
US
I left an earlier on the old timers I work with using WD-40 for pulling lubricant, but I didn't want to lump the bad cabling practices in one thread ( I'm sure it's a long list). They seem to believe that Scotch locks are fine to extend a twisted pair data cable. A wire map will show it's o.k., and the PC will link up. So is there anything any one can point me to that shows the effects from this?

This is a quick fix and will work for a time. It may work for a long time until a flourescent light or some other EMI generating device is installed near the splice and the cable starts picking up the noise.

Wire Map is nothing more than a continuity test.

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

Honestly, I would tie a new cable on at the break and pull to the furthest point first then backfeed it to the final location. This will go rather quickly as long as nobody tie wrapped the bundles tightly and you do not have to go to sleep wondering if you will have another trouble call in the morning. My way of cabling, do it right always, no quick fixes as they will burn you. As far as fiber, splicing is a standards compliant issue. Network cables are not when it comes to your horizontal cabling. Hope this helps.

In a rare ocasions only...
I terminate cable with insert. Another site with RJ45 crimp. secure both cables. Plug it in. Unless you have very humid conditions no problems will be recorded for a the rest of the cable life.
Just think of it as using a patch cord.
This cable if done correctly can be certified.
Remember do this only on a very rare ocasions.

That crap will past a Fluke certification test and that is why I hate companies, customers and RCDDs that put such a strong emphasis on wanting certification printouts for their network cabling as if it means anything. Those splices will cause data loss or corruption and no meter will ever prove that drop bad.
My way emplemented at my company for splicing is that we terminate with a certified female jack on both ends for that network and connect with a pre-made, certified patch cable. We do not crimp RJ45's on wires at our company based on failure rates we have determined in house on our systems. That is just our company policy and may not be that of others.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

The best solution we've found for this situation are little 110 blocks - the size of a surface jack. Provides a good termination with very little untwist. Minimal parts.
Mike

Actually I do not splice period. But it had been brought up here from time to time. The best method that has came up is to terminate a jack on both ends of the cut and place a "Factory" made cable between the two jacks. Make sure the patch cable is rated to meet or exceed the raring of the cable. I have done this to get a device working until I could get my crew over to replace the damaged cable. But i would not use this as a permanent repair. Just to get something back up.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Real life versus integrity. If the customer was sold a cabling plan of homerun cables...that is what they should get. If the customer was a horse's patoot...
Interesting comment on the Fluke tester passing a spliced cable. I am aware of a distribution point being allowed (many years back) but wasn't aware the tester can't see it.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

I'm sure they realize that the customer will never actually know what's going on behind the scenes. And they think if it's all connected, it's fine. This could be another forum, but they'll also rob 2 pairs, scotch lock a piece of cable, and use pins 1,2,3,6 and have another data jack. It annoys me, but what can you do about an old guy that says " everybody thinks they know everything because they read them books".

swfl- I'm plauged by the same trouble. Old retired Telco guys telling my customers I've over cabled them, and they can get 2 connections out of my cables.

Other than the wiremap, a twisted pair connection, once broken, cannot be undone. Run ONE cable per network connection.

On the other hand, for cat5 connections, I will use the jack to plug metod as a last resort to extend a run, within spec limits.

Oh, and Fluke DSP testers WILL FAIL SCOTCH LOCKS.

You guys are lucky they use scotchlocks. Guys around here have a monkey rubber fetish. Seen far too many "installers"
who did not have a accurate footage count on one of their left over boxes, or can't do math in general, realize their short 10', and slap those dam rubbers on.
Whether a fluke see's it or not, real world performance does, same drop ended up being replaced a week later due to poor network performance. Of course the ceiling tile I moved at the rubber location may have helped that a little. :)

We had a building that had no IDFS. 4 stories of home runs to the first floor. No more cables were ran, just moved around. And if they weren't long enough, scotch locks, if they needed an extra jack, steal 2 pairs. This building, along with at least 50 other remote sites on the network must have had hundreds of these. Nobody ever called them on it, so they thought they were just being really clever.

And then they needed POE for the new VoIP telephones off a POE switch, that's when the @%&! hit the fan.

"Adversity is Opportunity

How did you know? We had to rip out all the Nortel ICS's we installed and trash them so Bellsouth could replace them with Cisco. All POE phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back