Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splice VGA Monitor Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNS4us

MIS
Mar 29, 2004
US
Here is the situation: I have client that has a boardroom with a Dell Projector that they want CEILING mounted. The problem is that the CONDUIT that feeds from the ceiling through the cement floor to the bottom of the table is too small to fit the VGA connector through.

So, is there a way to just CUT the 50' VGA cable and splice it together or is there a way to somehow use CAT5/5e/6 with HD15 connectors on each end??

We tried the Linksys Presentation Wireless device and that was dreadful.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The best way would be to reomve the 15-pin connector from one end of the cable, run the wire, and then install a new connector on the end. A splice will introduce some (minor) distortion. The connectors are easily available from many computer parts stores, like Fry's.

do a google search of cat5 and vga and you will find lots of solutions

Thanks for the help guys. I'm off to Fry's Electronics. : )

Before you run the cable:
Have you used the 50 footer to with the devices to check for the quality of signal you are going to get with it? Depending on the resolution, 50' could be pushing it for a normal VGA cable.

I would use fiber and a converter on each end. Will not have to worry about signal degradation that bkrike mentioned.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

i have been in the same situation and did cut the vga cable and spliced it back together by soldering all the conductors. what a pain in the ..... anyway the cable worked fine. it was used for a projector for video conferencing. also, i recently did a job where we ran cat 5 utp for video and used converters at each end of the cable. these were used in operating rooms at a hospital and they worked fine. except when they used the coterization equipment. the monitors fliped out with interference. other than that they worked fine. i would recommend using sheilded cat 5. check out this site for products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back