Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splice 25 pair cat 3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q6600

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2008
US
I need to splice 2 amphenol 25 pair cables together (both cables have one end bare)

Whats the best way to do this? A 66 block? Can I use a standard 25 pair wiring diagram?

Thanks.

Yeah I would love to be able to crimp them but I dont have the butterfly tool and they are not cheap.

Thanks.

Nope, AMP was real proud of that tool. Ask your cable contractor to come in and terminate the ends. Most cable companies have this tool and it shouldn't be more than 1 hrs work.

66 block = poor man's splice.

Can pick up a 66 block at Home Depot if you really need one bad and don't have one in stock.

Don't forget to count your time of dressing and punching down 50 pair of wires, and inserting 50 bridge clips, if needed.

Yeah our vendor wanted quite a bit to come out and crimp everything. I just picked up a 66 block and a bag of jumper clips. I will report back with how it goes.

Thank you everyone.

3M Scotchlok UY2 is use them all the time, google it

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

:)

I have seen those "beans" before. Never knew the real name, thanks. That would be a nice quick fix, but I actually rather enjoyed punching down everything on the 66 block. Thats the first time I have fully filled a block, or heck even bought one.

I know a lot of the people here eat and breathe Nortel/telco stuff, but its a hat I only occasionally get to wear. My primary "day job" is IT (windows servers, medical interfaces etc) So this is all really new ground for me. Its very fun and exciting.

After watching our vendor in action of migrating us from an option 61c to a CS1000E, I went from just barely knowing how to make new mail boxes in meridian mail and renaming phones in LD 95 to now actually building sets, changing keys, adding and removing classes of service etc. (ie what we would previous PAY for, basic M.A.C. stuff)

We purchased telephony manager with our upgrade, but the more I learn the Nortel command line the more I think I like it better. Its a shame that its probably going to get phased out eventually.

Anyway, everything worked out good. After the "splice" I got to do the pull, which quickly re-reminded me why I dont pull wire for a living ;)

Pics in next post...

I know this is probably childs play to most people here, but it was good punching practice to a greenhorn like me.

Done in one of our conference rooms so I had some space...

100 foot Bertek cat 3 25 pair bare both ends.
66 block, clips, cover.
25 foot Allen Tel 25 pair cat 3 w/female amphenol.
Custom cable from Nortel - male amphenol to female DB25.

25 foot Allen Tel with foreskin pulled back, pairs in groups.

25 foot Allen Tel 1/2 way done (rubber band helped keep it tight, and I got my super cool color code on the left)

25 foot Allen Tel done

Same, side view

Bertek with foreskin being opened

Completed "poor mans splice"

Is it just me or did you punch them with the cut blade facing up? I don't know if it is just me, but I always have my blade facing down and take the wire in from the top of the pins, then punch it down. I guess it doesn't matter, just something I saw.

LOL... Ryan he did punch it down upside down but it works.

Ha! My yellow fiskars own your klein snips ;)

Thanks for writing down about my upside down punch downs. Next time Ill have it down.

(seriously, thats why I posted the pics, I love any comments that may "set me straight")

no kidding......but we have to bust his chops a little :)

I have a co-worker that uses a small pair of Fiskars and I crack everytime he pulls them out.

this is great. I have been on this board for a while and have been doing this work since 92 and it's always good to see someone truly learn something new. It is a great accomlishment and that is why I love doing this. I still learn new things all the time.

But stealing an admins scissors...come on.

I've never seen a use for them scissors except for cutting labels. I still don't know why people use them when side cutters exist. Ya, I own a pair of Klein Scissors too. I use them for toenails.

--
GHTROUT.com - Help for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators
--

Beans are B-Connectors. They are used in those large black case splices you see in aerial and under ground and are used by the thousands by cable splicers. Maybe not so much anymore, but I still use them for all kinds of things. I mostly chew them now. Yeah, I know, "they have metal inside", but my teeth haven't all fallen out yet.

Q6600, great job! Janaya is right, it's always good to see someone learning. This product line and Rolm have taught me something everyday for the last 30 years. To bad Avaya will knock it off, like IBM killed the Rolm system. I'm retiring soon anyway...

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back