Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spelling "truely atrosious," says academic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJCooperIT

Programmer
May 30, 2002
US
Embaressed by yor spelling? Never you mind.

[navy]Fed up with his students' complete inability to spell common English correctly, a British academic has suggested it may be time to accept "variant spellings" as legitimate.

Rather than grammarians getting in a huff about "argument" being spelled "arguement" or "opportunity" as "opertunity," why not accept anything that's phonetically (fonetickly anyone?) correct as long as it can be understood?

"Instead of complaining about the state of the education system as we correct the same mistakes year after year, I've got a better idea," Ken Smith, a criminology lecturer at Bucks New University, wrote in the Times Higher Education Supplement.

"University teachers should simply accept as variant spelling those words our students most commonly misspell."

To kickstart his proposal, Smith suggested 10 common misspellings that should immediately be accepted into the pantheon of variants, including "ignor," "occured," "thier," "truely," "speach" and "twelth" (it should be "twelfth").

Then of course there are words like "misspelt" (often spelled "mispelt"), not to mention "varient," a commonly used variant of "variant."

And that doesn't even begin to delve into all the problems English people have with words that use the letters "i" and "e" together, like weird, seize, leisure, foreign and neighbor.

The rhyme "i before e except after c" may be on the lips of every schoolchild in Britain, but that doesn't mean they remember the rule by the time they get to university.

Of course, such proposals have been made in the past. The advent of text messaging turned many students into spelling neanderthals as phrases such as "wot r u doin 2nite?" became socially, if not academically, acceptable.

Despite Smith's suggestion, language mavens are unconvinced. John Simpson, the chief editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, says rules are rules and they are there for good reason.

"There are enormous advantages in having a coherent system of spelling," he told the Times newspaper.

"It makes it easier to communicate. Maybe during a learning phase there is some scope for error, but I would hope that by the time people get to university they have learnt to spell."

Yet even some of Britain's greatest wordsmiths have acknowledged it's a language with irritating quirkiness.

Playwright George Bernard Shaw was fond of pointing out that the word "ghoti" could just as well be pronounced "fish" if you followed common pronunciation: 'gh' as in "tough," 'o' as in "women" and 'ti' as in "nation."

And he was a playright.[/navy]

I think his idea of accepting "variants" is horrible. It sounds as though he is just tired of correcting papers.

Fish = Ghoti? [shocked]

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: www.EmuProductsPlus.com

Surely "ghoti" under GBS principles would be pronounced "fishy"?

soi la, soi carré

Werds! Rimes with nerds! Too much cacaphony, and too little expressional nuances. There, that's the ticket.
Diversity lends itself to fo-net-i-cal dallyance.
We must free ourselves from the shackles of illiteracy!
Abreviation seems to be what the Gen-whatevers, are into.
Blame texting.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

I think his proofreading is abdominal.

Nullum gratuitum prandium.
--Sleipinir214

It reminds me of this "news item". Happy Friday, all.

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as Euro-English (Euro for short). In the first year, 's' will be used instead of the soft 'c'. Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard 'c' will be replaced with 'k.' Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome 'ph' will be replaced by 'f'. This will make words like 'fotograf' 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent 'e's in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' by 'z' and 'W' by 'V'. During ze fifz year, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou', and similar changes vud of kors; be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil b no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru.

soi la, soi carré

I am endlessly amazed by the lack of spelling skills in younger folks, even professional journalists who, thanks to their blogs, show their true lack of spelling knowledge.

I'm not a spelling Nazi, but I certainly think a professional journalist should be able to spell. And what about the next generation of teachers? We may have no choice but to abandon correct spelling enforcement if the teachers can't spell...

Tony

Users helping Users...

>Surely "ghoti" under GBS principles would be pronounced "fishy"?

No, I don't think so. The TI (from, e.g., motion, nation, station) is pronounced /?/ (International Phonetic Alphabet) which is exactly the same pronuciation SH in fish

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' by 'z' and 'W' by 'V'.

Sounds like a German accent to me. I don't know anyone else that pronounces words like that.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

And that doesn't even begin to delve into all the problems English people have with words that use the letters "i" and "e" together, like weird, seize, leisure, foreign and neighbor.

The rhyme "i before e except after c" may be on the lips of every schoolchild in Britain, but that doesn't mean they remember the rule by the time they get to university
Because "weird", "seize", "leisure", "foreign" and "neighbour" are all prime examples of the "i before e except after c" rule aren't they?

English spelling is hard, probably a lot harder than it needs to be, but that's life. Since this generation are achieving better academic results than any of their predecessors, they should be capable of meeting this challenge.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

dgillz said:
Sounds like a German accent to me. I don't know anyone else that pronounces words like that.
Exactly; and therein lies the joke.

strongm,
Must just be me then, as I tend to give a little sound to the 'i' in station, nation - "stay"-"she"-"on", "nay"-"she"-"on" rather than "stay"-"shon", "nay"-"shon".

soi la, soi carré

The TI (from, e.g., motion, nation, station) is pronounced 'sh', but only when followed by 'on'. "Ti" is not a discreet phonetic element, whereas "tion" is.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

It is, in my opinion, one more level that the educational bar has been "lowered".

Think about it.... these are university students.... perhaps on their way to becoming doctors.

I don't think that I would feel comfortable with a brain surgeon coming up to me and handing me a note that says:

"After carful considerashun, we think that brian surjery is the best opshun for you."

<Shudder>

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

I know I wouldn't feel comfortable and I would immediate go to another physician.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

"After carful considerashun, we think that brian surjery is the best opshun for you."

So, Dr. Brian is going to operate on someone in a car, which is full of other patients?

Nullum gratuitum prandium.
--Sleipinir214

The thing is, you wouldn't know if that brain surgeon can spell. In fact, you wouldn't know if he is literate at all. Most of the time, he wouldn't write a note himself, he would have someone in his office do it, and just sign it, at best - or stamp it.

On the other hand, would you be comfortable using services of a foreign doctor, should a need arise, who doesn't speak a word of English, and you would need a translator/interpreter to communicate?

Stella740pl said:
On the other hand, would you be comfortable using services of a foreign doctor, should a need arise, who doesn't speak a word of English, and you would need a translator/interpreter to communicate?

Assuming I get a reasonable assurance of his qualifications; yes. There's a difference between the two surgeons: one is most likely capable but does not know my language through no fault of his own while the second cannot even spell in his native language. If a surgeon cannot spell in his native language, I will definitely wonder if there was any other part of his education that he considered unimportant - specifically the one pertaining to the surgery at hand.

Well, I lost trust into my college English instructor's proficiency in English after I noticed she is not very knowledgeable in Russian (which was her native language). But I still respect very much my high school English teacher and the knowledge she gave me. After all, I know she was great with Russian, so her English must probably be good as well. Still use a lot of what I learned from her.

As for the surgeon, in USA (and in many countries now), for so many doctors English is not their native language, and some even didn’t have any formal schooling in English at all. But that's a bit off-topic.

The initial bit of this new spelling is quite welsh you know....

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

This reminds me of my local supermarket, where a sign hangs above the office supplies loudly proclaiming "STATIONARY". I've been going to this store for 5 years now, and every six months or so I'll tell a manager that their sign is spelled wrong. They just don't seem to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back