Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SpeedStream 5200 DSL Moden Stuck in Bridge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

fidleid

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to ret this unit out of bridge mode and back into router mode? I accidentally hit enter at the wrong time and the it went into bridge mode.

Thanks

I have installed a lot of SpeedStream 5200's PPPoE modem only not a router, you need 5660 or the like to be a modem router comb.
What was you doing when things whent bad ?

I can elaborate on this; I was actually the smacktard who put it into Bridge Mode. I hit the Bridge Mode link by accident and without thinking clicked the button on the next page (don't ask, it was late). Now it is in bridge mode, and I cannot figure out how to get the PPPoE connection back. fidleid and I are related, but I try not to let that out too often.

What I'd ultimately like to accomplish would be to have this thing act sort of like a bridge. I have a router here, but there is also a router-type thing built in to this 5200. So every time I want to forward a port, I have to tell the 5200 to forward it to the router, then have the router forward it to the appropriate IP. Is there any way to have the 5200 send all traffic straight through to the router, and let it do the rest, so I don't have to set up two port forwards? Seems sort of redundant.

From my experience, the 5200 does not have any router functions unless you did some sort of bios flash to a different model. The 5200's run in "dumb" or bridge mode out of the box.

How did you access any other function with it???

iferrate is right out of the box "dumb" mode it will forward all ports and info good and bad. The only port forwarding needed, be in your router, what model of router do you have ?
Most routers have a DMZ zone you can put one computer in then it will see all info.
You will not have the NAT fire wall protection if you use the DMZ.

All I know is that I had to use port forwarding on both the modem and my router to get ports to actually forward through. I don't know if my ISP did some firmware upgrade, but there are functions there for port forwarding, static routes, etc. Entering bridge mode facked that all up; can't get on the internet at all anymore.

To clarify some things:

1) I clicked on 'Bridge Mode' in the modem setup, and then "Apply". This made the home modem screen stop displaying "PPPoE 8/35" and changed it to "RFCSomeNumber 8/35". However, now that it says that RFC thing, I cannot get on the internet. Resetting to factory settings does not change anything; I need to get that setting back to PPPoE 8/35.

2) My modem had port forwarding stuff already there. I just had to add the appropriate entries, and here is why:

For example, take Starcraft. SC needs to have TCP and UDP ports 6112-6119 forwarded. So I told my router to forward 6112-6119 to my PC. This did not allow SC to work correctly; the ports were still not being forwarded. But when I also added forwarding entries to the modem, THEN it worked fine. I had to tell the modem to forward to the router, then have the router forward to the correct computer. So I don't know what most 5200s are, but mine is most certainly not in dumb mode by default, and now it will not work at all b/c it is in bridge mode.

My router is an IPCop machine, fyi. But it is not the problem; no matter what ports I forward with the router, I also need to have the modem forward them as well. This holds true for my replacement modem, a 5667, as well.

Any help on how I can get the 5200 working and have it work in "dumb" mode, so I don't have to tell it to forward ports and just have it forward everything, would be much appreciated.

flip it over, find the reset switch, use a precision screw driver to reset the modem to its shipped state.
hold down the button, till the power switch flashes red with green on, or something to that effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back