Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speedstream 4200 + Linksys Wireless Router help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirrorsaver

Technical User
Sep 29, 2007
BB
Hey guys I have a weird problem. Let me try my best to explain it.

I have a siemens speed stream 4200 modem. I recently bought a linksys wrt54gs (s= speed booster) I plugged the modem ethernet cable into the slot labelled internet on the linksys router, plugged the computer into ethernet port1 of the Linksys router, and I was good to go.

Internet connection on and wireless working good. I noticed when I used linksys advisor it was saying it couldn't set up an internet connection, but I just exited out of it after setting up the wireless, and my internet connection works both on my desktop and my laptop.

This worked fine for 5 days and Now strangely enough playing Eve Online I am getting weird connection drops from the game. Recently my isp (Cable & Wireless) upgraded to 2mbit speed. This is what I did to try solving it, I formatted, had line checks done, replaced my wires. Done everything short of buy a new adsl modem. Before I try that last step I want to ask anyone what could cause this to happen with this particular software. And am I setting it up correctly by just plug and play? I've read people saying you have to put your 4200 modem into bridge mode to get it to work.

Ive tried the connection from work and get no drop outs from the game...so really puzzled what could cause it. Same isp from work, same route to the server. Probably a different modem in use at work, (dont know because im getting the feed wireless)

Is there anything I can try?

You might want to review the application's software requirements for any port assignments that may be needed in the router, and check the documentation for the 4200 and the Linksys. Using defaults is not a "one size fits all" especially with gamers.

It may work today and not tomorrow if some things change.

Also make sure the router has the most current firmware. Linksys has a long history of many firmware updates over the years for all kinds of problems.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back