Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speedstream 4100 and Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2007
I am having some mad issues trying to share a dsl connection with 2 machines and 1 dell 1600n printer. I basically want the router to authenticate for me and assign ips via DHCP. By doing this I can limit the DHCP range and alot a small chunk for static purposes, namely the printer. I bridged the modem and was able to get internet access for one of the machines only. The DSL account is set to static IPs so I am somewhat confused as to what steps to take. Do I need to manually assign IPs due to the account being static even if the router is assigning IPs via DHCP?

Sorry, forgot to mention that these terminals are running winxp embedded. WYSE V90 thin clients to be exact. Service is provided by AT&T and I am in Houston,Tx. Would it just be advisable to replace to modem with a Netopia 3346n? I have one extra laying around somewhere...

If you have a static IP assigned to you, it depends on how they authentiucate the DSL modem for you. Sometimes (Bellsouth) they want to do a PPPoE to authenticate, and pass along the static IP to the router.

Other companies like a T1 service, Windstream adn Alltel require you to put the static IP in the router itself. IT won't hurt to try it out. Pop the static IP in the setup, and make sure it's in there by going to the status page.

If you think you are having problems with the DHCP, and you only have 3 PCs, give the PCs all static IPs. Soemthing like:

IP - 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
DNS - 192.168.1.1

This is kind of a standard I use. I don't rely on the DHCP function too often on Linksys, sometimes it works, other times it bombs out.

Sooooooooooo, Call AT&T and see if they want a static IP in the router. They'll be able to test the traffic once you get the thing configured. Then you can leave the DHCP enabled, put your PCs and printer below the .100 address, and you should be well on your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back