Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

snt

MIS
Jun 19, 2000
US
I have done some speed tests on various sites. All the results are similar. 2-2.9Mb down and in the 380's up.
My question is why is it when I download, I have NEVER gotten above 400K and up I have never gotten better then 40K?
Is there something I can do to achieve these speeds?
Thanks

where are you downloading from? if you were your own server you could no get more than 40 kilobytes as you can only upload at 380 kilobits. Unless who you download from has faster upload speed, you are limited at their end I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Downloading from anywhere. It doesn't matter. I have never downloaded at a greater speed then 400K, no matter where I download from.
Unless who you download from has faster upload speed, you are limited at their end
Damn, sometimes I really am a dumbass.

Thanks

400k bytes is 3.2 megabits, sounds good to me and matches your predicted speed I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Maybe my math is off but 400K is less then .5Mb.
3.2Mb = 3200K

there are 8 bits in a byte I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

"there are 8 bits in a byte "
Right. 400K is 400 Kilobytes
1Mb = 1000K

Yep but every ISP sells in bits so 2.9 megabits is 362.5 kiloBYTES I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back