Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed while ghosthing from W2K Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
SE
We are about to remove all our Novellservers and only run Windows 2000. In the past we have used an old Pentium Pro Server with Netware 4.11 installed to ghost from, using a standard boot up floppy with IPX. While ghosting in this environment on a PIII 600Mhz we got an average speed around 300Mbit per minute. Using a faster computer we could achieve as much as 500Mbit per minute. What we used on our boot disks then was an old netware DOS Client from 1994. We use a switched 100Mbit network. Nowdays we have set up a better server that runs Windows 2000 Adv. Server, we have created new bootdisks to start up from using Microsoft DOS Client. On our PIII 600Mhz computer we now ONLY get about 150Mbit per minute. If we copy the ghostfile from within Windows to another PC Windows system we get no speed problems. Even if we use a brand new P4 2,8Ghz we only achieve the magical speed of 150Mbit per minute. Is it supposed to be this major difference between TCP/IP & IPX in DOS ? Duplex and speed are set to auto on the bootdisk since it must work everywhere. Is MS-TCP/IP for DOS so much worse then Novells IPX/SPX ? Is there anyone who know what I’m talking about here ? Anyone who have any suggestions or ideas ?

//M :)

First of all IPX/SPX is faster than TCP/IP. IPX/SPX put less overhead on the network.
Anyway , why you use GHOST? W2k has a built in feature - RIS. It's free, but GHOST is not. From the RIS server RIPREP image can be deployed on to the workstation for less than 15 min.

Victor K
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);CNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA;Net+;CCNA

gudday, we use the packet driver not the fully bloated ms dos client. With this we are able to reach speeds up and well over 500Mbit depending on the type of machine we are ghosting to! In my humble opinion RIS has no where near what Ghost is offering, as I have used both, and Ghost will always win hands down !
Have fun, try using the pkt driver with the approciate .dos file.

Cheers
Antony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back