Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

speed up transfers to port 80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsle

Programmer
Jan 21, 2006
US
Hi, I'm running an Apache HTTP server on port 80 through my Linksys router. I've already configured the router to direct port 80 to my computer, but the server seems to be very slow. Even for me to connect to the server using my external IP address, the images on the page load slowly.

I'm using a cable modem that claims to be 2 mbps. It's from the same cable company that I had before at my old house (I moved only a few blocks away), and the server used to be a lot faster before. I'm thinking that the router is what's causing the slowness.

I've tried changing the priority to my computer to be "High" while the other ones were set to "Low" but this doesn't seem to have improved the performance at all.

Are there any other tips I could try to make the web server run faster/make the pages load faster?

There is a couple of considerations here, first is that generally the 2mbps that you are getting is download speed guarantee. You will have to check if there is a service level for upload speed or you can use an internet speed test like DSL reports to see what you are getting for your upload speed. This is considered an asynchronous connection. There are companies that can provide synchronous connections, meaning your down and up speed are the same but they will cost a little more.

The other consideration with cable is that the network is a "shared" resource as opposed to a point to point connection like DSL. That means you and your neighbors are sharing a connection to the CO. The more neighbors that have the service and are using it the less of the network you will have to yourself, so it could be that you moved there was just more people sharing that cable network.

The only other issue might be a physical issue with the cable but I would suspect you would see other issues if that were the case.

I would start by doing a speed test though and see what that is saying. There are a couple of tools that can help by adjusting TCP length and checking, but that might or might not help depending on your speed.

I ran a speed test and my average results are around:

Code:
  Upload Speed: 378 kilobits per second
Download Speed: 2650 kilobits per second

So that might be the main problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back