Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobG2001

MIS
Oct 5, 2001
US
Is there any way to find out if I'm getting all of the T1 we're paying for on our WAN links? We have a private line T1 which downloads fast from one office to the other but dogs when move the file back up. Cisco 3662 & Cisco 2621. TIA.

Robert

Add this to your t1 interface:

config t
interface ser0/0
load-interval 30
exit
exit

Now try sending a massive file, and then doing a show int ser0/0

Look for these stats:

30 second input rate 281000 bits/sec, 196 packets/sec
30 second output rate 920000 bits/sec, 144 packets/sec

This will calculate the average in/out rate for the interface for a 30 second window.

Doesn't look right to me:

30 second input rate 3000 bits/sec, 5 packets/sec
30 second output rate 105000 bits/sec, 9 packets/sec

We run an 100-pair cable from the MPOE to our computer room. I wonder if there is a problem in that run. It's pretty far run in a factory ceiling. I also wonder what the limits are.

How long is the run and what type of cabling is it? You said a 100 pair, do mean 100Mbit Cat 5? Also, if you do a "show interface" are there any input errors, CRCs, anything like that? If there was a problem in the line then it would be evident there. You might want ot post those "show interface" outputs.

Burke

Thanks for the input: What I mean is that from the telco stuff (NIU) there is a run of 100 pairs of wires to the computer room where it's punched down and then terminated into a jack. I plug my Controller T1 card into this Jack. The length of this run is at least 220'. I've tried using some Cable length commands but it hasn't made a difference. I get a lot of Slips and Line Code violations as well.

Serial3/1:1 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is DSCC4 Serial
Interface is unnumbered. Using address of FastEthernet0/0.5 (223.100.1.254)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1536 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
reliability 171/255, txload 16/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
DTR is pulsed for 1646336 seconds on reset, Restart-Delay is 1646336 secs
LCP Open
Open: IPCP, CDPCP
Last input 00:00:00, output 00:00:00, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters 17w6d
Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: weighted fair
Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
Conversations 0/5/256 (active/max active/max total)
Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
Available Bandwidth 1152 kilobits/sec
30 second input rate 3000 bits/sec, 6 packets/sec
30 second output rate 99000 bits/sec, 9 packets/sec
8174000 packets input, 1791989633 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 5 giants, 0 throttles
632457746 input errors, 590853054 CRC, 41604619 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 73 abort
10444915 packets output, 1875280161 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 58 interface resets
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
32 carrier transitions
Timeslot(s) Used:1-24, SCC: 1, Transmitter delay is 0 flags

Do you have your clock sources right?
Did you try switching to other pairs? (maybe the TX pair is bad)

etc..

BuckWeet

remote office is set to master and the home office is set to line since it's a point to point. I'm having this problem with all 3 of my T1s in the corporate office. The remote sites don't have any errors at all. All these are being extended as part of this 100-pair in the corporate office. I'd say the problem is with the 100pair but what throws it off is the fact that we have a voice PRI going over the same way with no errors according to our PBX.

I'd say try a new set of pairs, also, make the central router the clock master, then have the remotes feed off it..

BuckWeet

You should be using t1 wire and not the regular cat3 or cat5 100 pair. Also make sure your jacks that the t1 is terminated to is a t1 jack.

The massive amounts of errors is why you connection is crawling. :)

Couple of things...

This will take some research on your part, but here are some things you can do and not affect your site.

1) Pull the tech spec on your interface card on your router, and see max distance on cable run. I assume that you have no CSU/DSU between the router and the jack. Its nice to have one there because you can usually see if errors are coming of the line, and some can handle a line backup solution with maybe a 56K private line or ISDN line if the T1 fails.

2) Usually any type of 24G twisted pair with individual shields at impedance of 100 ohms will work fine, but is usually limited to 655ft from the CPE equipment to the POI (Point of Interface) jack.

3) Check to see if the LBO (Line Build Out) is set correctly. Typically, it is 0-to-655ft. from the POI to your router. This can vary as well, depending if the T1 provider has a line repeater inside your premise or outside your premise. In addition, depending on the type of repeater the T1 provider is using, he can change his LBO to make up for your cable lengths. You did not say how long the run is. Generally, you do not want to exceed 655ft (including turns, slack, etc.).
If this is the problem, (i.e. long cable runs), you will have to use 2 back to back line drivers, or a fiber cable modem/line driver solution.

4) CPE equipment is ALWAYS synced off the network. Let me say this again, ALWAYS. The incoming sync clock is always stratum 1 or better. Your equipment should be ‘looped timed’ or ‘slaved timed’ off the network. NOT ‘free runned’ clocked or ‘master clocked’. You will get errors up the wazoo (!) if you set this wrong.

5) Contact the T1 provider, and find out if the T1 is, Alternate Marked Inversion (AMI) or Bipolar 8-Zero Substitution (B8ZS) to ensure an appropriate ones-density on the T1 line. Your equipment MUST match or you will get errors up the wazoo (!).

It is possible to get voice to sound OK, because think about it. Voice at a superior rate is usually only 9.6K of a 64K DS0. You probably hear static though as the Framing Errors and Timing Slips happen.

If none of this helps, after hours, request the T1 provider to loop back the T1 to himself, and at a minimum run a 15 minute test looking for errors and slips.

Thanks for taking the time. Here's a bit more info and one more question.

I'm not close to the cable limit. I'd say I'm under 300'. To be honest I've never configured private lines but I've been told one needs to be the clock source and the other needs to be clocked off the line in a Point to Point setup. I did have them both clocking off the line and it didn't seem to make a difference. I have confirmed the line is B8ZS as well which is what it's set to. Also, the reason the voice line puzzles me is that the PBX is itself shows no errors for that line. No Slips or anything but who knows...

All that being said, what's the command to allow LEC to loop the CSU/DSU in the routers? I have a VWIC-2MFT-T1 on one end and a WIC-1-DSU on the other. thanks again.

I do not know where you are located (city wise), but most LEC’s have a smart jack, and they can send a loopback code to it, and loop the line back towards the facility (the LEC side). They will then send a high-density pattern signal towards the loopback and look for errors.

I’m not really familiar with your DSU/CSU, but they will also try and send a loopback code to your DSU/CSU, and if it is sophisticated enough it will loopback towards them, and then they send a high density signal and look for slips.

CAUTION, if you ask the provider to do this, IT IS service affecting. In addition, your router NIC blade may have a built in DSU/CSU. If this is the case, disconnect it from the T1 first to be sure your external DSU/CSU is the one that is responding to the loopback code. IF your NIC blade supports an internal loopback towards the facility, tell the provider so, and offer to loop it back towards them, and then let them test. NOTE – You may have to do this for both sides of the circuit, so hopefully the other side is manned with a telephone close by. This way you will not have to pay the provider for a dispatch.

In addition, you may have to tell your DSU/CSU to look for timing from the line side, and your internal NIC card to look for clock from the line side. CHECK this. This maybe why your router is seeing slips, but you PBX is not. Also, check the LBO if you do have an internal NIC card.

Also, if you are slipping as bad as you say you are, the provider can MOINTER the line, and see if the facility is slipping without affecting service.

Here they are looping me up:
Applique type is Channelized T1
Cablelength is short 133
Description: T1 to Las Vegas
Receiver has no alarms.
alarm-trigger is not set
Version info Firmware: 20000922, FPGA: 15
Framing is ESF, FDL is ansi & att, Line Code is B8ZS, Clock Source is Line.
Current port master clock: recovered from controller 3/1
Data in current interval (860 seconds elapsed):
0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations
0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs

Notice, no errors.

Here is what it looks like normally:

Total Data (last 24 hours)
2929748 Line Code Violations, 5497131 Path Code Violations,
85285 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 85252 Line Err Secs, 1150 Degraded Mins,
68537 Errored Secs, 68504 Bursty Err Secs, 16519 Severely Err Secs,

I tried various LBO setting with no difference. The clocking is set to clock off the line. I don't understand it. the Las Vegas side is perfect but the LA, Calif has errors on three different T1s. LEC is SBC.

“To be honest I've never configured private lines but I've been told one needs to be the clock source and the other needs to be clocked off the line in a Point to Point setup. I did have them both clocking off the line and it didn't seem to make a difference.”

To make this easy, think of the provider as an island in the middle. The island sends clock toward end point (A), the clock is recovered and corrected by your DSU/CSU and sent back towards the provider. He in turn will, if necessary correct the timing, and pass it to the other end point (B). Hence, this is where the term “loop timed” comes from.

In a point to point with NO provider, end point (A) is set up to provide timing (master), end point (B) is set up to loop time (slave). This then provides synchronization (timing) for your equipment, which is hopefully good enough not to slip or cause frame errors.

This clears the facility. DO you have a built-in CSU/DSU in the routers? Either they are set up wrong, (the internal CSU/DSU) and fighting the line side DSU/CSU. YOU DO HAVE A PROBLEM. T1's are rated %99.9 error free in a 365-day period (ideally).

I agree with you. Currently I have a Cisco 2600 in Vegas with a WIC-1T-DSU (built-in csu/dsu) and in Cali I have a VWIC-2MFT-DSU (also a built-in csu/dsu). Vegas is set to Clock source Internal and California is set to clock source line. It sounds like the California side is not getting the clocking off of the Vegas side?

I'd still try to tap onto some different pairs, make sure there are no idf's between the devices.. I've had ppl tap onto and IDF between spots like that and cause havoc.

BuckWeet

“The clocking is set to clock off the line. I don't understand it. the Las Vegas side is perfect but the LA, Calif has errors on three different T1s. LEC is SBC.”

You said you have 3 different T1’s with errors on the CA side. When were the T1’s turned up to you by SBC? This is AN important question.

Are all 3 T1’s drop side going through the same 100 pair cable? Are they all in the same jack panel field? Are there T1 repeaters on your premise?

Does your router show protocol up?

I think it highly unlikely you have 3 cable pairs bad.

All T1s were turned up within a month and all of the T1s are going through the same 100-pair. The provider is At&T but the LEC is SBC on the LA side. I know we had an issue with a repeater way back but it was corrected by SBC. I don't believe it's the cable now that I had AT&T loop me up with no errors at all. I'm questioning the clocking on all of this. I wish I knew how to get a live support person from AT&T...So frustrating.

Update: So I have AT&T test this again and I'm not sure what this means. What should I be prepared for?

From AT&T logs:

03/11/2003,16:57:25 [AT&T ][COMP][TEST RESULTS REPORTED BY AT&T]
03/11/03 16:57 QUICK MONITOR COMPLETED
CLFI: 1 T1F LSVGNVXK NORGCA11
Test Summary:
CSU or Access or AT&T IOC problems between Customer and AT&T.
Circuit: A-End: NORGCA11
Test Monitor: 60 Seconds
CSU or Access or AT&T IOC problems between Customer and AT&T.
BEFORE: ES=00000 SES=------ BS=------ UAS=00000 LOFC=------
AFTER: ES=-0802 SES=------ BS=------ UAS=00021 LOFC=------
Circuit: Z-End: LSVGNVXK
This section tested OK. No problems found.
Section: IOC
This section tested OK. No problems found.
CONFIG=01, A-end=LSVGNVXK , Z-end=NORGCA11
Could not check for pre-existing NI or CSU loops.
CSU Z responds to datalink commands, responds to B or Y.
CSU A responds to datalink commands, responds to B or Y.
Z-end: potential problem based on:
At Customer: ES=0966 UAS=0084
Quick Monitor Phase started.
Quick Monitor Phase ended.
Cleanup Completed Successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back